Friday, January 7, 2011

Can Yoga Bring Peace On Earth?

This Christmas I bought a royal blue garden flag with a wings extended white dove and the words PEACE ON EARTH. I carefully placed it on a wrought iron pole and stuck it in the lawn near my condo door. It looked great until I got up the next morning, and found the flag so twisted you could not see the bird never mind any inspirational words. I fixed it the next day, but the howling December winds continued to mangle the message. On December 26, 2010 my PEACE ON EARTH plump dove was buried under two feet of drifting blizzard snow.

Fortunately I know a metaphor when I see it. Peace on Earth has mighty forces fighting against it. For over thirty years my Somers middle school social studies students and I started September with the International Peace Day celebration. We then went week after week examining the Dark Ages of Medieval European history intermingled with US current events. “Where in the World Is the Latest Conflict” might as well be the new digital download as we worked to locate new global hotspots.

So what's a peace loving person to do? Is it possible to be hopeful in the midst of so much turmoil in this fast paced world? I'd like to offer a suggestion that I found on a card at the Holy Family Bookstore. The card reads: "PEACE. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart." I repeated this message at my Full of Grace Gentle Yoga class at St. Mary's in Windsor Locks. I could tell by the yogis smiles and head nodding that these words resonated with them. During our practice we learn to use the ancient art of yogic breath and asana positions to unite our mind, body and spirit to create a healthy, peaceful, faithfilled life. The ancient practice of yoga demonstrates peaceful practices and gives us the tools to bring light to our world. Yogis honor their bodies and develop strength for the days ahead. We know we can not stop the ocean waves from crashing against the shore, but we can learn to surf and ride the turbulent tides. Holy Family is a peaceful place to learn and practice yoga. I extend to you an invitation to my February 5th program called Yoga with the Saints. The purpose is to enjoy yoga and learn from the inspirational contemplative saints of Ireland and India how to survive and thrive on the waves of life.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Robinson said...

Ellie--Great blog! I'll be there on February 5th.