Friday, April 1, 2011

An Unexpected Call...

This reflection commemorates Holy Family's 60th Anniversary.
We hope you will join us for our 60th Anniversary Mass on May 22.
Click here for more details.

I attended my first retreat ever (anywhere) at Holy Family in January of 2009, at the invitation, and, as it turned out, gift of a friend who has been “my Eli” since I was confirmed as an adult years ago. She had been telling me for years that I would love it. She was, of course, right.

I arrived Friday night with such anticipation, although my first take on the retreat theme – We Are Called – was perhaps a tad skeptical. At my age and stage in life, the prospect of a “Call” seemed a bit remote.

I did, however, come away from that weekend, if not called to something, then maybe awakened, to a need, almost a hunger (to risk being somewhat dramatic) for prayer at a deeper level.

I have always prayed – usually a running commentary of thanks, help, and I’m sorry throughout my day. Since that January weekend, however, I now set aside a specific time every morning to be quiet in God’s presence and to pray by name, and with intention, for people in need of healing and for the blessing and protection of my family and friends. I pray for those who have asked for prayers and for others whose particular needs I am aware of. I pray for people and for circumstances from the headlines and those with whom I share ministries in my parish. I call each one to mind and their individual needs or circumstances and place them before God. I also pray every day for those who have been and are a part of my spiritual journey.

Maybe my call was to prayer! I’ve learned that my attentiveness to prayer has made me more attentive to others and aware, as well, of God’s comforting presence and loving care in my own life.

While I am active in and committed to my home parish, Holy Family has become my extended family in faith, a place of welcome and comfort. I come back as often as I can for the renewal, fresh insight, and continuing call that are at the heart of the Holy Family experience, and always leave uplifted and encouraged … and wanting more.

Jane Woodmansee

No comments: